Extreme Cold Weather Tips
Friday, January 12th through Tuesday, January 16th Boulder County will be experiencing extreme cold temperatures expected to range from -5 to -20 due to wind chill. Extreme cold increases risk for frostbite and hypothermia, frozen pipes, and slick roads.
Consider the following tips during times of extreme cold temperatures and winter weather:
- Limit time outdoors – If you need to go outside, dress in warm clothes.
- Minimize travel – If you must travel, keep a winter survival kit in your vehicle, and check tire pressure and antifreeze levels before heading out.
- Keep skin covered – Wind chill can cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 5 minutes.
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing, a hat, and gloves. Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Cover your face with a mask or scarf – To help keep skin protected cover your face and mouth as able to help protect your lungs from extreme cold temps.
- Check on those who may be vulnerable – Check on the elderly or others who may be at extra-risk in extreme cold temps.
- Bring pets indoors – ensure pets have an indoor place to keep warm.
- Watch for signs of frostbite or signs of hypothermia and seek medical attention as needed.
Check out additional information around cold weather safety on The National Weather Service website.